Monday, October 16, 2006


Can you hear me now?

Dr. Sevigny’s first lecture talked about the importance of context in communication competence. Enjoying the concept of multiple presenting faces is something that I think derives from a creative relationship with one’s self.
As I move through the many challenging events of my life, I know what it takes to adjust my attitude and expectations to fit the context of the group to which I am fitting in. I use vastly different communication styles that allow me the freedom to blend in and achieve my goals in each of these social arenas. Inherent in being alone (all-one) is the awareness of this whole spectrum of my being.
I am aware of changing communication styles in my life as I navigate my multiple roles. Being a mother to two teenagers requires different communication skills than those I use as a student. As a waitress, the style changes again. As a landlord, my tenants see a different me and my business clients yet another.
The first hurdle in creative aloneness is loneliness, which is overcome by a solid grounding in the self, a love of learning, and progress in achieving goals that are personally exciting. It is especially important to monitor your intra-personal conversations. In order to access free and creative ways of being with others, you must allow and encourage flexibility in yourself. In other words, give yourself permission to be the many different facets of you on different occasions. It’s fun. Just look at how far Madonna takes it.

No comments: